Continued unemployment claims are running below the 2008 GFC peak for the third week in a row, but adjusting to pre-Covid19 cycle unemployment roughs, we are still ways to go:
- Latest weekly change in continued unemployment figures is an increase of 230,000 - the first rise in 13 weeks.
- Pre-Covid19 trough was at 1,702,000 continued claims. We are currently at 5,757,000.
- Compared to pre-recession 12 weeks low, current unemployment claims are 334% higher or more than 3.3 times higher.
- New claims are also rising: the latest confirmed data is a weekly increase of 23,977 - the largest in 5 weeks.
- The latest preliminary data shows new claims up +228,982 in the week of December 5th, based in States' data.