Edelman Trust Barometer 2014 was published last week. Here is the link to the full presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/edelmanireland/edelman-ireland-2014-trust-barometer
And a couple of summary slides:
- NGOs lead with total trust 64% in 2014 up on 63% in 2013
- Business is second with 58% in 2014 unchanged on 2013
- Media on behind Business with 52% trust, down from 57% in 2013
- Government least trusted, with 44% in 2013, down from 48%.
Meanwhile in Ireland, things are even more stark:
- NGOs trust down from 63% in 2013 to 58% in 2014 - now below the global levels from previously global average levels
- Business is again second, with trust falling from 44% in 2013 to 41% in 2014 - both below global averages
- Media is in the third place with trust declining from 45% in 2013 to 37% in 2014 survey - both below global averages
- Trust in Government in Ireland sunk to 21% in 2014 (less than 1/2 of the global average) and down from 32% in 2013.
Trust index overall has dropped from 46 to 39 between 2013 to 2014 - a massive drop from already low levels:
On 2009-2013 average:
- NGOs: 54.6% average is below 58% level in 2014
- Media: 37.0% average is identical to 2014 reading of 37%
- Business: 40.4% average is below 2014 level of 41%
- Government: 29.2% average is well above current level of 21%.
So of all institutions, the only one that deteriorated in terms of trust in 2014 compared to 2009-2013 average is... Government.
Time to pump out more Government spin and 'Economic Outlook' presentations by quangos and Departments...