Friday, June 14, 2013

14/6/2013: Detroit suspends payments on unsecured debt

I recently wrote (albeit in distinct context) about Detroit's bankruptcy. Here's the latest on the saga:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-14/detroit-on-bankruptcy-s-brink-stops-paying-some-debts-orr-says.html

I love this city because it gave me (via Chicago) my greatest partner in the crime of life. And my students in Smurfit Graduate School of Business are certainly familiar with the imagery of the urban collapse from Detroit and Flint, Michigan on foot of my lecture notes slides penchant for dramatic photography.

Sadly, it is totally, comprehensively, irreparably destroyed. Its only hope is a structured and comprehensive default followed by a bottom-up restructuring of its economy, demographics, politics, policies and institutions. Let's hope Michigan State will not commit the errors committed by the Euro area 'leaders' in Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Cyprus, Spain, Italy...

No comments: