Monday, July 4, 2011

04/07/2011: Irish property prices - daft.ie report

My comment and rather back-of-the-envelope outlook for Irish property markets is available with daft.ie report - link here. Note that the prediction concerning rents-prices feedback is based on my earlier analysis published here - see the last chart.

Strangely, at least in one instance my opening paragraphs were identified by some commentators as being a 'political statement'. To all who know my work, this should sound like a mistake for two reasons:
  1. I have never taken partisan political positions. While I do hold strong policy views, these are not aligned with any political party or movement. I have consistently provided advice to and public engagement with any political party or movement that asked for such. During the last election, as in the previous elections, I did not support any particular party, although I did support / help a number of individual candidates whose views span left and right of the political spectrum and with whose views I was not necessarily in full agreement.
  2. The entire opinion piece is based on my understanding of economic facts. I have spoken on many occasions about the adverse effects of increased taxation on investment and household spending. I have been vocal about the mirage of 'foreign investors flocking to Ireland' stories being pulled out of thin air by our real estate journalists. Over a number of years, I have been critical of the state policy of promoting - via pricing systems and lack of regulatory independence - inflation in state-controlled services. Nothing political here.

No comments: