More of the Hitchhiker's quotes to depict our leadership team:
(5) On Government's modus operandi:
"They obstinately persisted in their absence."
(6) On Government plans for economic 'revival' through windmills, banning of 100 Watt lightbulbs, investing in 'tech' start-ups and the rest:
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
(7) On the Budget 2009 - and more specifically on the idea of raising taxes in a recession in order to pay for public sector pay stability:
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy [...] says of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation products that 'it is very easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words - and this is the rock solid principle on which the whole of the Corporation's Galaxy-wide success is founded - their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws.' "
(8) On Government's ability to manage the reform of its own finances:
"It wasn't merely that their left hand didn't always know what their right hand was doing, so to speak; quite often their right hand had a pretty hazy notion as well."
(9) Brian Cowen's way of getting policy debate going:
"Why do you need to think? Can't we just sit and go budumbudumbudum with our lips for a bit?"
Preferably with a PINT!..